Hogue Cellars started in a child's playhouse in Mike Hogue's backyard and became one of the most recognized names in Washington wines. When Mike and Gary launched Hogue Cellars, it was Washington's 19th bonded winery.
Their father, Wayne, started hop farming in the Prosser area in 1944 and gradually grew their hop farm into more than 1,700 acres of mixed crops. By 1974, Mike used 6 acres from his father's land and planted Riesling grapes, which he sold to other wineries. Seven years later, Mike and a friend, started making wine in Mike's daughters playhouse, and it was "pretty darn good." In 1982 the Hogue brothers made their first appearance as "The Hogue Cellars" at the Prosser Wine & Food Fair, an event that is still going on today. That following year, The Hogue Cellars winery and tasting room took over a vacant building in Prosser, WA, where the tasting room still remains.
Constant awards and accolades grew the company from 2,000 cases in 1982 to 5,000 in 1983 to 10,000 in 1984. By 1996, an expansion project was completed boosting Hogue's production capacity to 400,000 cases.
Throughout the years, Hogue Cellars has maintained consistent quality and still only uses fruit harvested within the Columbia Valley and its subappellations.